1. Conduct not conducive to the proper use of the library is forbidden.
2. Noise, disturbance or unruly behaviour is forbidden in any part of the library.
3. Smoking, food and drinks are not allowed in the library.
4. Silence shall be observed in the public areas of the library. Mobile phones, pagers and watch alarms should be switched off before entering the library.
5. Users of the library should be decently dressed.
6. Loitering or ing in the library is prohibited.
7. Library materials must not be taken out of the library unless a Library staff has properly issued them.
8. All books and personal belongings must be shown to the staff at the library exits whenever required to do so.
9. No bag, case, umbrella, personal book, CD-ROM, or floppy disk should be brought into the Library. They should be deposited at the property counter at one’s own risk.
10. Library membership cards are not transferable and must be produced whenever requested by Library staff.
11. Library membership cards, when lost, must be reported immediately in person or by telephone to the Circulation Section. A lost library card may be replaced by a fee of Rs. 50/- along with an undertaking that the member concerned will be responsible for any book taken on the library card.
12. Mutilation and theft of library materials are offences punishable by law. Appropriate action will be taken by the Library against offenders.
13. Library books and documents must be treated with honour, so that it is prohibited to underline, write notes or pull out pages there from.
14. All dues to the library must be paid ly.
15. The library will not be held responsible for the loss of any personal belongings of users.
16. The members should inform the library their new designations, official addresses and addresses of communication as and when they move to new assignments or locations.
17. Following consultation, books should be left on the tables for the library staff to re-shelve them.
18. The library staff has the right to ask users to leave the library if they are inappropriately dressed or are causing a disturbance.
19. The library staff has the right to ask a non-member to leave the library.
Special Membership of the library can be given to eminent scholars, researchers, academicians and any other individual who is the resident of Delhi by submitting the required membership form along with two residential prove such as voter ID Card, Ration Card etc. and refundable security deposit of Rs. 500/- and non-refundable annual membership fee of Rs. 500/- p. a. for borrowing three library books.
Casual Membership will be provided at the rate of Rs.100/- per person per month, in its branches at Shastri Bhawan and R.K.Puram. This can be renewed on monthly basis. It can also be granted upto Six month in one go. This category covers consultation members those who want to consult the library resources, however, they can use a photocopying facility available in the library on payment basis. For the purpose, one has to enroll himself a casual member of the library by giving the address proof such as voter ID Card, Ration Card etc. or a letter from the institution with which he is affiliated. No books will be loaned to Casual Members. They are also requested to adhere to the norms of the library.
Any organization in Delhi can become a member of this library by depositing an annual membership fee of Rs. 1500/- per year non-refundable regulated through their library. They will be entitled to six library tickets for borrowing out of the lending collection. This facility is extended to the employees of the organization who has taken the membership of the CSL and shall be entitled for all the facility and services as given to its regular members. The organization will furnish all the details in the form which should be duly signed by the administrative head of the organisation and will take all the responsibility for the books borrowed against Corporate Membership by their representative. Download the Membership Form.
The library will remain closed on all public holidays notified by Government of India. All users must prepare to leave the Library ten minutes before closing time and to be out of the building by closing time. Items available for loan may be borrowed until ten minutes before closing time.
1. Members must produce their valid library membership card when borrowing the books. Members must check to see that all library materials in their possession have been properly checked out to them before leaving the library.
2. Members are held responsible for all materials charged to their cards.
3. Members will be held responsible for any mutilation including defacement found in library materials when returned. They must check and report any mutilation found at the time of issuing the book.
4. Members must report the loss of library materials immediately to the Circulation Section of the Library and they must pay the compensation for the lost book.
5. Any book not returned in response to a final overdue notice would be considered as lost and the member would be asked to pay compensation for the lost book.
6. Fines will be calculated, according to the Rates of Fines, from the due date and the amount should be paid at the library.
7. Members must ensure that the books issued to them are returned or renewed on or before the date due. Notices sent by the Library serve only as a reminder and non-receipt of the notices does not absolve any member from paying fines or other penalties as stated in these Rules.
8. Each borrowing member will be issued library tickets as per their entitlement
9. Documents can be borrowed not more than 2 documents at a time on inter-library loan by the libraries located within the NCT Region of Delhi for a period of 15 days on submission of request duly signed by the Librarian or his authorized representative
10. In case the members fail to return the borrowed document on or within the due date shall be liable to pay overdue charges at the rate of Rs. 2.00 per day on the spot. The privileges given to the member shall be suspended if overdue materials are not returned.
11. The borrowing members who repeatedly fail to return documents on due date consecutively on five occasions may loss the privilege of the membership of the library. They will also not be allowed to borrow the books
12. The documents on loan with the members can be recalled by the Library at any time
If the payment for the lost book is not done as demanded, the controlling authority of the central government employee will have to recover the amount from the salary and sent it to the Central Secretariat Library.
In the case of Retired Central Government Employees/Special Members and Corporate Members, the amount due for the lost book will be intimated in writing and incase the same is not paid then, it will be recovered from the security deposit made by the user and the membership will also be forfeited.
Year of Publication cost plus Surcharge to be recovered as above:
1. Prior to 1940 current publishers price plus 200 percent as surcharge.
2. 1940-1950 current publishers price plus 175 percent as surcharge.
3. 1950-1960 current publishers price plus 150 percent as surcharge.
4. 1960-1970 current publishers price plus 140 percent as surcharge
5. 1970-80 current publishers price plus 125 percent as surcharge
6. 1980 onwards current publishers price plus 50 percent as surcharge
1. It is possible to make a reservation at the library using the reservation form or by e-mailing email@example.com
2. The arrival of reserved materials will be duly notified to the member
3. Materials ready for pickup will be kept for 7 days from the date of notification
4. Each member can reserve two books at a time. All materials on hold must be collected personally.
Library materials on open access shelves may be removed for use within the library without reference to library staff. They should be left on the re-shelving tables or trolleys after use. Library materials of Rare Book Section is not on open access. It may be consulted following application to the Director of the library. Readers are not permitted to carry the documents in IOD and FOD Section from any another sections. Newspaper is allowed for ground floor only. Books of other library is strictly prohibited. Readers are not permitted to bring their own books, floppy disks, CDs into the Library but no responsibility is accepted for their safety. Laptop may be allowed after the permission of competent authority.
Obtaining “No demand Certificate” from CSL/TSL/RKP by the Central Government Employee and Corporate Member is most essential condition. A member shall obtain a ‘ No demand Certificate’ by submitting an application on the prescribed form and on depositing all the tickets.