Central Secretariat Library (CSL) receives books / documents from Ministries / Departments, international organizations, Publishers, Authors, Private institutions etc. The policy for obtaining the books / documents and maintaining the record of the books / documents received in CSL through gratis / gifts is as below :-
1.The books/documents received on gratis in CSL would be placed under one of the following categories:-
2. All the books / documents received in CSL through gratis / gift would be sent to Office of Director, CSL for perusal. The Director, CSL would mark the books / documents to LIO (in- charge of Acquisition Section). The LIO (In-charge of Acquisition Section) on the basis of the content of the books/documents will sent the book to IOD Section, FOD Section and Acquisition Section. In addition to above, received books / documents may pertain to Area Study Division (ASD), General Section, Reference Section and Serial Section.
3. Books / Documents pertaining to Foreign Official Documents (FOD) :- The Foreign Official Document Division of Central Secretariat Library collect and receives documents on gratis from international organisation like United Nations, UNESCO, WHO, IMF, World Bank etc. The SectionIncharge of FOD Section will prepare a list of documents which are required to be received on regular basis in CSL. Adequate efforts should be made by the FOD Section to obtain all such document pertaining to the Section. On monthly basis a report containing the list of documents received in the section and efforts made during the month to obtain other relevant documents shall be submitted to Director, CSL through e-file for information and approval.
4. Books / Documents pertaining to Indian Official Documents Division (IOD) :- CSL is the depository of Indian Official Documents as per the cabinet secretariat OrderNo.6/4/2/84-Cab Dated 21.04.1984. It is mandatory and responsibility of each government organization to send a copy of publication to Central Secretariat Library. IOD Section will prepare the list of documents which are to be received on regualr basis along with the frequency of documents. Adequate efforts should be made by the section to receive all the relevant document pertaining to IOD Section. On monthly basis are port containing the list of documents received in the section and efforts made during the month to obtain other relevant documents shall be submitted to Director, CSLthrough e-file for information and approval.
5. The FOD Section, IOD Section and Acquisition Section on reciept of the books / documents from LIO would prepare the respective list of books received on gratis / gifts. On the basis of content of the book/documents, requirement of CSL and relevancy of books/documents the FOD, IOD and Acquisition Section will enter the books / documents in the Library Software. The FOD, IOD and Acquisition Section will prepare the list of books/documents received on gratis and a progress report in this regard will be submitted to Director, CSL on monthly basis. Gratis documents would not to be accessioned in the regular accession series of CSL and the record of the gratis / gift books should be maintained separately.
6. The irrelevant books / documents, pamphlets, advertising materials, catalogues etc. may not be entered in CSL’s Library Software. A list of such documents would be furnished on monthly basis by LIO (Acquisition) to Director, CSL.These documents may be displayed in the display racks for the period of 10-15 days or more based on the relevancy as decided by Director, CSL, on the recommendations of LIO (Acquisition) and later on discarded from CSL.
7.CSL should avoid duplication of books unless otherwise decided by Director, CSL. Library has the right to accept and /or to reject the Gratis / Gift books & documents, depending on the need and circumstances, as decided by Director, CSL.
i). Brief Introduction:Central Secretariat Library (CSL), Ministry of Culture is one of the largest Government Library. Its resources are amalgamation of the libraries of per-Independent India and many other old institutions such as Imperial Secretariat Library. Central Secretariat Library caters to the needs of all the miniseries/departments of the Government of India. Non official users such a research scholars, academicians, students and others can also become member of this library. This library receives requests from time to time from the various government organizations which offers certificate / diploma course etc in Library Science, to provide to their students an "Exposure Training" wrt functioning of a library.
ii). Eligibility Criteria: All the students pursuing diploma / degree in Library Science from government institutions and willing to attend "Exposure Training" in CSL may forward their training application through their head of organization/institution. The application shall be received in CSL, 3 weeks in advance from the date of proposed training.
iii). Time Duration: Two to three weeks training as per the request from the respective organization.
iv). Stipend: No Stipend will be provided by CSL.
v). Selection:The trainee will be selected on "First-Come First-Basis", subject to fulfilling the other eligibility criteria.
vi). Mentors:One ALIO from CSL will be designated as mentor for training of one student. A roaster will be prepared for the same.
vii). Certificate:Trainees will have to submit a brief report on training experience and learning, three days before completion of the training. The report will be duly verified by the mentor before issuing the certificate to trainees.