The Acquisition Section of Central Secretariat Library focuses on building the strong collection of book and non book materials pertaining to Social Science and Humanities. Collection development is based on ongoing assessments of the information needs of library clientele, usage statistics analysis, and demographic projections, and is normally constrained by budgetary limitations. The process of Collection Development includes:
- formulation of selection criteria
- planning for resource sharing
- planning for new collections or collection areas
- routine selection and de-selection decisions
These processes are guided by a Collection Development Policy which establishes priorities and facilitates decision making in selection of books and other documents. The activities of Acquisition Section are mentioned below:
- receiving books on approval basis
- arrangement of books subject wise in Collection Development Committee Meeting Room
- conducting meeting of Collection Development Committee
- taking approval of recommended books from competent authority
- ordering of approved books
- receiving of approved books
- invoice processing
- stamping and writing accession number on books
- sending the accessioned books to technical processing section
Administration Section of Central Secretariat Library is an important wing to assist the establishment activities of the library. It keeps and maintains the records pertaining to various budgetary provisions of the library like expenditure and other matters pertaining to physical stock and infrastructure of the library. The various work of this section are mentioned below:-
- Draft formulation of BE - RE Revenue budget of Central Secretariat Library
- Formulation of CSL’s Plan proposals. Draft formulation of CSL’s Outcome Budget.
- Draft formulation of Final Grant.
- Formulation of Annual Action Plan as per the activities.
- Submission of proposal as per the Annual Action Plan.
- Coordination with R.K. Puram Branch Library
- Coordination with Cash Section, PAO and PB for the budget.
- Various proposals as per the plan activities projected.
- Promotional Activities under innovative ideas.
- Maintenance of Stock Register, Stationary etc.
- Reprographic Section: depositing challan etc to Cashier Culture.
- Maintaining the Repository Room of CSL.
- Training to fresh Library Professionals.
- Coordination with all divisions of CSL.
- Upkeep of CSL building. Maintenance of AC Plant and other related work with CPWD.
- Maintenance of Area Study Division. Reply of query etc. related to Area Study Division.
- Preservation and Conservation of books of ASD.
- Digitization of Books.
Area Study Division
The resources of Area Studies Division has about 85,000 volumes and has been organized on the basis of documents having emphasis on a geographical region. This division is one of most sought for division in CSL where one can trace documents even for a smallest district or town in India. Documents of almost every subject concerning the socio-economic and political condition of India and its regions are available in this division. The collection of different countries of the world are some of the strongest asset organized in this division. In this section has housed three important collection of Rare Documents, Biography and Women Studies also.
Rare Documents Section
A unique collection of about 6500 rare documents is also placed in this division. Rare books ranges in different subjects and as old as 1702. Rare book collection of this division has more than 6500 titles received from the Imperial Secretariat Library. Mainly rare books are based on Indian History of 18th, 19th and early 20th century. The oldest book in CSL is Recueil Des Voyages Qui Ont Servi in french language and it is about Voyages of East India Company.
The library has about 8000 biography collection of Indian and foreign persons, such as:
- Encyclopedia of Great Men in India
- Great Indian Economist
- Indian National Biographies
- Encyclopedia of Muslim Biographies etc.
Area Study Division has a large collection on women studies subjected to India and abroad. This division houses about 5000 collection on women studies related to history, politics, social, religion, science technology and other subject.
The Computer Section of Central Secretariat Library offers technical support services to the library. This section helps to organize data, storage, maintenance, access, retrieval and transfer of information.
The Responsibilities of Computer Section are mentioned below:
- Selection of Hardware/ Software
- Purchase of Hardware and Software for the library
- Installation of hardware/Software
- Work relating to participation in network
- Providing internet
- To develop and maintain website portal for the library
- Digitization of resources
- Creation and maintenance of data base of library collection
- Other works concerned with the section
Circulation / Reference Section
Reference Circulation Section provides readers service, lending service, inter-library loan service and display promotional works. The membership enrollment is also done here. This section has general and reference collection of books.
About 80000 books in science, social sciences and humanities are housed at the ground floor, which provides theoretical exposure to various disciplines and has a strong collection in both English and Hindi languages.
The resources of the Reference Section contain a strong reference collection for quick retrieval of information through Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Handbooks, Yearbooks, Biographical Sources, Statistical Documents, Multi volumes sets on different topics, Atlases, Bibliographical Sources etc. in different spheres of knowledge. It has about 20000 valuable documents. It is the policy of the CSL to update these reference sources periodically.
Foreign Official Document Section
This division has about 60,000 official documents of different countries and international organizations. The major country, which has large collection, is United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. The major international organizations are United Nations, UNESCO, OECD, IMF, ADB etc. The CSL has also entered with an agreement with World Bank to become a regional depository centre of all its collection on Asian Region especially on India. Its on-line products, e-library, indicators, global development finance web sites could be accessed by the users. The accessibility of such web sites is available in LAN environment within the premises of CSL.
- A History of the Committee on the Judiciary, 1813-2006 U.S. House of Representative
- Demographic Yearbook U.N.
- Documents on British Foreign Policy 1919
- Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the far East
- General Reports on the Activities of the European Communities, U.N. E.C.S.C
- Government Reports Annual Index
- Hanssard Command Papers House of Common, 1924
- Handbook of National Commission
- Parliamentary Debates – Representative Commonwealth of Australia, 1958
- Treaties and other International Agreement of the United States of America
- U.N. Economic and Social Council Official Records
- United States Treaties and Other International Agreement
- Yearbook of the International Law Commission
- Yearbook of the United Nation
- Yearbook on Human Rights U.N.
Indian Official Document Section
The Central Secretariat Library is a Depository Library of Government of India publications through a Order No. 6/4/2/84-Cab Dated 21.04.1984 of Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India. The section has about 80,000 volumes of union and state government documents which is in the form of annual administrative reports of different ministries, departments of the Government of India, statistical documents, civil list, budget documents, census reports, committee and commission reports, parliamentry standing committee reports, settlement reports, Gazette of India, gazetteers and various other adhoc reports brought out by central government.
- Gazette of India is available from 1922 to 2015 in physical form. It has been digitized from 1922 to 2001, and have been shered with Department of Publication to uploaded on egazette.nic.in.
- IOD section has housed approx 3000 volumes of Committee Commission Reports, which was constitued by the Government time to time. Total 2827 reports has been digitized and may access at cslrepository.nvli.in.
- It has housed Acts of Parliament from 1935 to 2001.
- Annual Reports of different Ministries and Department is also available here.
- All type of Swamys Publication books are available for users.
- Census Report from 1881 onwards are available in CSL.
Microfilm / Reprography Section
CSL also has a collection of microfilms of official publications released during the British period. It has about 3544 microfilm rolls of books in different vernacular languages of India microfilmed by Library of Congress under its MIPP project. It also houses about 5,000 document collection in microfilms bought from British Library, London concerning pre-independent Indian official documents available in British Library under its V series. The Library is constantly updating itself with the procurement of microfilms under this series. In addition to this, CSL have microfilm rolls of Times of India 1951 to 1998 and Navbharat Times 1950 to 1998.
Reprography section is situated at first floor of this building. Readers may get black white and colour photocopy on payment basis.
Acquires about 226 periodicals in humanities and social sciences including popular magazines and a large number of daily newspapers in English, Hindi and regional languages. Apart from these, CSL has a collection of microfilms of daily newspapers i.e. Times of India and Navbharat Times Hindi. Some of the valuable documents from different libraries have been microfilmed in collaboration with the Library of Congress. Periodicals-226 Magazine-176, Journals-50
Newspaper-52 English-25, Hindi-09, Assamee-1, Bangali-2, Gujarati-1, Kannada-1, Malayalam-3, Marathi-1, Oriya-1, Punjabi-1, Tamil-3, Telugu-2, Urdu-2. It is also proposed to procure E-journals and to provide to the users.
Technical Processing Section plays a key role in the functioning of the library. It makes a bridge between the acquisition of documents to the Circulation. Technical Processing Section furnish following works:
- Classification of books following DDC latest edition. CSL use Area Study Schedule for locating particular are of India and the World.
- Cataloguing of books as per AACR-II.
- Prepare Subject Headings as per Library of Congress Subject Heading.
- Updatate Database using LS Premia version of the Libsys software.
- Generating Bar-Code using LS Premia version of Libsys.
- Sending all books in different sections as per their location for its users.
Text Book Library: R. K. Puram Branch
The branch library is situated at West Block -7, Sector – 1, R. K. Puram, New Delhi - 110066 is catering to the needs of government officials working and residing in the adjoining areas. Since 2003-04 Library is also functioning as Text Book Library for the wards of the central government officials pursuing under-graduate level courses in Delhi and preparing for competitive examination like UPSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc. The present size of the Text Book Collection is about 36000 volumes. This Library has a capacity of about 50 users. The library reading hall is fully air-conditioned. The library is RFID enabled.